About the Foundation
Cancer Patients Alliance is a 501(c )(3) non-profit organization led by a Medical Director and a five-member scientific board of highly regarded specialists in oncology from around the world.
The mission of the Foundation is to promote awareness, increase education, and further pancreatic cancer research. Specifically, the programs supported by the Foundation are aimed at:
- Promoting education
- Community awareness
- Most current medical research results
- Providing access to the most comprehensive listing of ongoing cancer clinical trials for patients, physicians and researchers
One of the Foundation’s Initiatives is called Pancreatica and it is dedicated to confronting pancreatic cancer and creating optimal treatment strategies for pancreatic cancer patients and their loved ones. Pancreatica.org is a top-rated internet resource containing unique educational resources for patients, their caregivers, physicians and researchers. The News and Archives section on Pancreatica displays the world’s largest concentration of scientific articles; and its database of ongoing clinical trials in pancreatic cancer is also the world’s largest. Our aim is to present impartial knowledge about pancreatic cancer where interested parties can sort through a large amount of information efficiently in order to provide a sense of the range of existing treatment options, to aid patient/doctor partnerships, and thus to help optimize personal treatment strategies.
Receiving a diagnosis of pancreatic cancer is serious news. For some, conventional surgical and /or medical therapy is the best option. For many of those with more advanced disease, putting one's affairs in order and seeking that medical attention which will help insure physical and emotional comfort, is the correct and most responsible decision. But for others who wish to fight, it is important to know that there are options. There have never been this many options. The odds, depending on the type and extent of the tumor, may not be great, but fighting these odds may increase survival and may even provide an increased sense of well-being. And some people find meaning in the fight itself.
We trust that Pancreatica can provide the kind of information that is necessary to begin the search for personalized optimal treatment strategies for pancreatic cancer.
A Look at Pancreatic Cancer
- The pancreas is a small spongy organ that lies under the curvature of the stomach and deep within the abdomen. The pancreas does two main things: produces enzymes that are useful for the digestion of food AND secretes hormones (like insulin and glucagon) that help maintain and regulate body sugar levels.
- Cancer is the second most common cause of death in the developed world, behind heart disease. Pancreatic cancer is the fourth most common cause of cancer mortality. Although there are exceptions, usually patients only have a few months to live after they are diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.
- Typically, the symptoms of adenocarcinoma of the pancreas are vague — and include malaise, fatigue, loss-of-appetite, weight loss, abdominal discomfort and nausea. Also, the most common presenting physical sign of pancreatic cancer, that of jaundice (due to obstruction of the bile duct), is typically shown late in the disease progression.
- Pancreatic cancer is the least funded cancer in terms of research. Despite causing enormous mortality, pancreatic cancer receives (on a mortality basis) much less funding for research than most of the other major cancers.
- Currently, there is no molecular marker or genetic screening tool to aid in the earlier diagnosis or screening of pancreatic cancer. The treatment results would improve significantly if this cancer could be diagnosed at an earlier stage.
How You Can Help: Pancreatica Walks and Runs
Pancreatica Walks and Runs is dedicated to raising awareness and funds, increasing education and supporting pancreatic cancer research. The donations collected will be used to fulfill these goals. As a participant in Pancreatica Walks and Runs, you pledge to raise money by walking or running in one of our selected nationwide events, or an event of your choosing. We give you great fundraising tips, training plans, coaching options and when the required minimum dollar amount is raised, reimbursement of your race entry fee, related travel expenses, prizes and more!
This is a wonderful opportunity to help in the fight against pancreatic cancer while…
- Doing something remarkable for yourself and for others
- Contributing to a good cause
- Making new friends
- Being an example for others to be inspired to action
- Learning more about fitness, health, fundraising and more!